This 1871 church has seen many additions and restorations and is on the National Historic Register.
Work in 1996 included a complete restoration of the original church including termite removal, asbestos abatement, and the removal of high lead content paint. A reworking of several additions from the 1950’s and 1960’s was necessary to create a homogenous and more functional whole.
2009 renovation work mainly affects the original 1871 portion of the building. The bulk of the work included excavating and finishing of space below the sanctuary. The original stone foundation was removed, cleaned and cut into a veneer that was reapplied to the exterior of the new foundation. Youth rooms, classrooms and homeless overflow occupy this new space. Improvements to the sanctuary included a complete restoration of the 1912 organ and the expansion of the organ chamber. The chancel of the church was also redesigned and enlarged to function as a flexible worship and musical performance space.
Iowa City, Iowa
3,200 SF (renovated)